Last year the Air-con on my Skoda Octavia(2002 1U) started behaving erratically. Did some basic diagnosis(pressure check in both lines, fans and compressor clutch check) revealed something wrong either with :- 1. Thermal expansion valve(TXV) 2. Refrigerant control valve(RCV)
After some further diagnosis, I confirmed it was the RCV. I proceeded to take the car apart. Upon examining the compressor internals, my suspicions were confirmed, it was the RCV. But the compressor had some aluminum shavings in the oil. This was very bad news for my wallet
So on 20th of December last year, my dad bought a used Skoda Octavia/Laura 1Z(2009 Facelift L&K). It had an ABS issue and we got a great price for a sparely driven car in great condition. Skoda service made a bill of upwards of 1lac(1400$) just to replace the ABS unit. I was never going to spend that much on ABS repairs. EVER.
So I decided to take matters into my own hands and picked up my Stahlwille toolkit. Taking the ABS pump was no big deal, it’s anchored down by 2 dowels and 1 bolt.
So for years tuners have tried various different techniques to have multiple tunes in one ECU. There are several advantages to this: 1. Multiple tunes with different output power levels 2. One tune can be tuned so that engine won’t start: sort of like an added level of security as the driver needs to switch into the tune which will start the engine 3. Different fuels need different ignition parameters such as ignition timing and duration to name a couple.
The present method to achieve this was with methods that involved opening the ECU and changing the hardware(flash memory with double the size to have 2 tunes as an example). In this post I am going to write about my journey to achieve a software based solution on the Bosch EDC15 ECUs.
For far too long tuners have been implementing launch control on diesels by simply limiting the RPM of the engine, say 3500RPM. With no load on the engine, this results in only 10-12mg/str of diesel being injected which is insufficient to spool the turbo and hence the resulting “launch” is with the engine not at it’s peak performance.
Our goal at Tangent is to have the best of everything. As soon as the issue was identified, we devised a new strategy for an improved launch.